Friday, June 25

I'll Have Some More Punch, Please



I found this great recipe for punch in a cookbook handed down to me from my mother. I am obsessed with finding the perfect thrift store punch bowl. I see them all of the time, but most only have a few glasses or some are chipped, etc. I have passed up so many good ones in the past and am kicking myself for it now! We all know that feeling, right? So when I find my perfect punch bowl, I am making this immediately:

Florence's Southern Punch

2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups water
Juice of 6 lemons
Zest of 2 lemons
Ginger ale
Juice of 2 California oranges (or any other juicing orange)
Zest of 1 orange
2 handfuls of fresh mint, crushed

Syrup: Cook sugar and water together to the boiling point: boil 10 minutes. Pour over juices, zest, and mint: cover and let sit for 1 hour. Strain and chill.
For a drink: Fill glass 2/3 full with crushed ice. Add 5 tablespoons of syrup and equal parts ginger ale (a little more ginger ale, if desired).
For a party: Fill bowl 1/2 full of ice: add equal parts syrup and ginger ale (more ginger ale, if desired). Garnish with slices of orange or frosted grapes over the side.

From the cookbook Blessings by The First Presbyterian Church of Pine Bluff, AR. Recipe by Frances Toney Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment