Wednesday, March 2

Chicken Fried Rice

This was my first attempt at making Chicken Fried Rice, and one of the few times I have tried to cook an Asian style meal. I have shied away from Asian recipes because I don't have a wok (I subbed in this versatile Le Creuset pot), and honestly am intimidated.  Well, that's not going to stop me any more! Monday I had a craving for Chicken Fried Rice, and thanks to the internet, I was able to figure out how to make it. Did you know that the cooked rice needs to be at least 1 day old?? So instead of having this Monday, I had to wait until Tuesday. It was well worth the wait, and knowing the quality of ingredients in my meal. I read a lot of recipes, but ended up going with a modified version of this one from Food Network. The directions were the clearest, most detailed, and easiest of any I could find. Here's a pic of the finished product, and my recipe:



Ingredients
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups cooked and thinly sliced chicken pieces
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
5 whole scallions, thinly sliced on the bias, white and green separated
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup diced carrots, raw
8 ounce can bean sprouts, drained
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons soy sauce
4 cups cold cooked brown rice, at least 1 day old

    Directions

    Heat a large heavy bottomed non stick pot or wok over high heat. When hot add 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally until lightly browned. Add the garlic, ginger and scallion whites and stir fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the peas, carrots, and bean sprouts. Cook until just the peas are just defrosted but still crisp. Transfer contents of skillet to a large bowl.

    Return the pan to the heat, lower to med-high and add 2 more tablespoons of oil. Add the eggs. Stir the eggs constantly and cook until almost set but still moist, then transfer egg to the bowl. Break the eggs up with a spoon or a spatula. 

    Return the pan to the heat and add remaining oil. Add the rice to the pan and use a spoon to break up any clumps. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and stir fry the rice to coat evenly with oil and soy sauce. Stop stirring, and let the rice cook undisturbed until it gets slightly crispy, about 2 minutes. Stir the rice again, breaking up any new clumps. Remove from heat. Stir in the scallion greens. Add the chicken and vegetable mix to the pan, as well as the eggs. Stir all of the ingredients together, taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper or soy sauce, if necessary. Serve.

    This was so delish, I am going to go have some of the leftovers right now!! Yummmy!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment